Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chocolate Mousse with Gingerbread Whipped Cream

This stuff is divine.  Seriously.  Spiced white chocolate whipped cream?  Chocolate mousse?  TOGETHER???  I've made it twice so far, and I will make it again.  Now that I have my own ramekins (thanks, Julie!!), I may make it whenever I can find people to help me eat it!

Creamy and delicious chocolate mousse!

In ramekins with the best whipped cream ever on top.  I'm in heaven.  Also, thanks to Luke for sending me these pictures!




Chocolate Mousse with Gingerbread Whipped Cream
From BGSK - Makes 8 small servings, or less if you're like me :)

For the Mousse
3.5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. molasses
1 egg yolk
3 egg whites
Pinch salt
2 Tbs. sugar

For the Whipped Cream:
1 1/2 cups cream
2.5 oz. white chocolate, chopped (should contain cocoa powder; I used Ghirardelli's white chocolate chips)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
Pinch salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave on 20-second intervals, stirring, until melted.  Combine milk and butter in a small bowl and microwave until the butter is melted.  Stir well, then pour into the chocolate.  Whisk together.  Add the yolk and molasses and whisk until smooth.

Separately, beat egg whites until they form (soft) peaks.  Sprinkle in the sugar and beat until stiff(er) peaks form.  Stir very gently into the chocolate mixture until combined.  Pour into individual ramekins or form into a round on a serving platter.  Refrigerate AT LEAST an hour, or until set.


For the whipped cream:
Microwave the white chocolate and 1/4 cup of the cream for 20-second intervals until melted.  Add spices and vanilla, then let it come to room temperature.

When read to eat, whip or beat the remaining 1 1/4 cup cream until thickened and firm.  Carefully fold in white chocolate mixture and dollop it on top of the finished mousse (the more the better!).  Top with shaved chocolate or crumbled gingersnaps.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this recipe work for you? Tips, suggestions, or advice?