Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cabbage Soup

No, wait!!  Don't run away because of the title!  It's good, I promise!  Okay, okay, maybe I'll just keep this one for my personal recipe file, if you're too wimpy to try it.  I may serve it the next time I cook for you, though.  It's really, really, really good.  Especially with parmesan cheese on top.  Yummm....

Please forgive the photo.  I should not have served it in a yellow bowl, but I love my little yellow bowls and just couldn't help it.  Don't worry, it's good.  Further supporting my hypothesis that ugly food is yummy food.



Cabbage Soup
From 101cookbooks
3-4 servings

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 LARGE pinch of salt (although you can adjust it at the end of cooking...)
1 large russet potato, sliced thinly and then cut into 3/4-inch squares (you can really do any shape you like, but it has a great texture this way)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
5 cups chicken stock
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 medium cabbage, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
Parmesan cheese for serving

Heat the olive oil in your soup pan. Add in salt and potato; cover and cook until the potato is tender and starting to get golden, about 5 min.  Add onion and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add stock and beans and bring to a simmer.

Stir in the cabbage and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until it's softened to your liking.  Adjust the salt and pepper.  You MUST have enough salt, or you won't have the exceptionally delicious taste you're looking for. Serve warm sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

Really, it's better than it looks.  I promise.  Would I lie to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this recipe work for you? Tips, suggestions, or advice?