Friday, November 19, 2010

Butternut squash mac and cheese

This is what I did with the bulk of my butternut squash.  The recipe said it made four servings... I got two.  Oh well - it was healthy, right?... Right?

I couldn't believe that there were only 1.5 cups of cheese on the pasta- it tasted so cheesy, creamy, and delicious.  This recipe is easily substitutable as well - add bacon, veggies, spices, ground beef, or anything else you can think of!

Original recipe here

Butternut Squash Mac'n'cheese
2+ cups small pasta (I used whole wheat shell pasta)
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
1 Tablespoon flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butternut squash puree*
1 1/2 cups cheese (I used sharp cheddar, but you can use anything you have on hand)
2+ Tablespoons cream, cottage, or ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of paprika

Cook your pasta according to package directions.  Make sure it's fairly al dente, so it can hold up to the cheese sauce.  Drain and set aside.

Melt butter over low heat; add flour and whisk for two minutes.  Gradually add milk, still whisking.  Pour in everything else and continue to whisk until it's all combined.  (P.S. isn't whisk a funny word?  I kind of like it :)

Add sauce to pasta and stir!


*Peel, cut up, and cook your squash however you like.  I just microwaved it until it was soft.  The recipe I linked to has more specific oven instructions, if you prefer the oven.


Enjoy!

P.S. If I ever find my camera I will post pictures.  Until then, you'll just have to make it to see the deliciousness that is butternut squash mac and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this recipe work for you? Tips, suggestions, or advice?