Thursday, November 11, 2010

Roasted Avocado and Couscous Salad

Original recipe from here.

Ingredients that you might not have on hand:
1. Avocado
2. Couscous (whole wheat or otherwise)
3. Red onion

Other main players:
4. Lemon juice
5. Butter lettuce (or any other kind of greens; this is just what I had on hand)


I've had two ripening avocados in the pantry for the last week or so. I realized yesterday that I really needed to use them, stat. But it's been a cold day, so my usual avocado fallbacks didn't sound quite as appealing as usual.

That's where google came in. Although I didn't know it before, apparently roast avocados are a BIG THING on the web. And after trying them, I know why. When cooked, the avocado becomes richer and almost earthier. It still tastes fresh and avocado-y, but it has another level. I don't really know how to describe it... maybe I'll go try it again. (nom nom nom)

In case you can't see it, that's 1,090,000 results!

Picture story of cooking:

Chopped red onion.
Whole wheat couscous, garlic salt, and olive oil.
Roasted avocado.  It may not look like much, but it's gooood.
Microwaved couscous with red onions, setting up.
Butter lettuce.  And some couscous.
Pile it on.
Add some ugly deliciousness.
Drizzle on some lemon-olive oil vinaigrette.
Chop the avocado up with your fork and mix!


I didn't know that couscous could be good - all the other recipes I've tried have been dry and cakey, with a yucky texture that I just couldn't stomach. I guess I should've known that all it needed was some fat. Healthy fats, though, so I feel a little bit better. Olive oil and avocado. Yum.

The recipe was beautiful - tangy and comforting and delicious. It also took next to no time to make! Definitely a winner - I'm having this one for dinner tomorrow, too. Maybe I'll take and post some pictures then! (Update: yes, I had this two nights in a row.  Yes, I will be having it again as soon as avocados are on sale.)



Recipe, Roasted Avocado and Couscous Salad (1 serving)
1 avocado
1/4 cup couscous + about 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Red onion (about 1/8-1/4 of the onion), finely chopped
1/3 cup water
Some greens - I used about 1 cup of butter lettuce
Lemon juice (1/2 Tablespoon)
Olive oil (1/2 Tablespoon)
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat the oven to 400. Cut your avocado in half, scoop it out, remove the core, and cut into quarters. Place center-up in a lightly-greased pan. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. I recommend using at least some garlic salt. Roast for about 10 minutes, or until the avocado starts to look a little bit golden-brown around the edges.
2. Bring the 1/3 cup of water to boil on the stove or in the microwave with a little bit of salt. Add couscous, olive oil, and red onion; cover and remove from heat. Let sit 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
3. Prepare your greens on your plate or bowl. Mix lemon juice and olive oil in equal quantities in one of the measuring cups you used earlier.
4. Dump the couscous and red onion mixture on top of the greens. Add roasted avocado and drizzle with lemon-olive oil dressing. Mix it all up, preferably cutting the deliciously soft avocado into bite-size pieces with your fork, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Two of my favorite things in the world!

    I've never tried roasting an avocado before. I think I'd like it!

    ReplyDelete

Did this recipe work for you? Tips, suggestions, or advice?